Comparisons of research on fear conditioning in rats and humans illustrate that both species show similar responses, including increases in blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration, and the release of stress hormones.
Extinction takes places when repeated exposure to a learned fear stimulus with no aversive consequences results in new learning that the conditioned stimulus is now safe. It forms the basis for exposure therapy treatment of phobias.
The Science Of Emotional Regulation - ParentingForBrain
Animal models show that activity in the ventral medial prefrontal cortex vmPFC is necessary for extinction to occur and that the amygdala plays a key role in its success. Phelps explained how cognitive therapists use emotional regulation to help patients reassess whether to associate a stimulus with a negative affect into neutral or positive emotional terms. In this case, the vmPFC controls fear by inhibiting the amygdala, which controls expression and helps with the formation and storage of memories associated with emotional events.
She also explained study results relating to the reconsolidation of a conditioned fear response and the retrieval—extinction procedure, known to act on neural circuits in the brain to prevent drug craving and relapse. Skip to main content.
Services on Demand
Read More. Subscriber sign in.
- Away in the Wilderness, or Life Among the Red Indians and Fur-Traders of North America.
- The development of emotion regulation and dysregulation: a clinical perspective. - Semantic Scholar;
- Emotion Dysregulation in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- eyelike nature Snow?
- Emotion Dysregulation in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | American Journal of Psychiatry.
Forgot password? Don't have an account? Sign in via your Institution.
Sign in with your library card. Search within Abstract and Keywords Several decades of scientific research provide strong evidence that individuals who suffer from emotion dysregulation, such as that observed in depression and anxiety, are more vulnerable to addictive behavior.
Top Ten Pressing Questions About the Development of Emotion Regulation
Eric L. Garland Eric L. Garland, University of Utah. All rights reserved. Save to Library.
Create Alert. Share This Paper.
Developmental differences in children who have experienced adversity
Topics from this paper. Disease Emotions.
- Principles of Interpretation: Mastering Clear and Concise Interventions in Psychotherapy;
- Review ARTICLE;
- Emotion Regulation | Psychology Today;
- Eric L. Garland, Spencer Bell, Rachel Atchley, and Brett Froeliger!
- When London Was Capital of America?
- What Is Emotion Regulation?.
- From Distress to Success: How to Deal with Emotional Dysregulation.
Rule guideline Acclimatization. Citations Publications citing this paper.